Friday, September 5, 2014

Science vs religion

Science vs. Religion

Copyright 2016 Don Ray

The beauty of science: it offers a mutually shared faith.

You can see my data and replicate my experiments.

The weakness of religion: you cannot see my god(s), cannot share my ecstatic experience, cannot measure my holy truths.

With science I can give you improved crop yields, transportation, communication, and medical care. 

With my religion I can give you confusing words and obscure names and esoteric creeds, and of course, retribution.

Science will always win the intellectual debate with religion because science’s shared, common, mutually experienced data base is inarguable.  But religion would eliminate even the need for debate if it more effectively shared what it offers as common, verifiable, replicable, mutual experience: love,  hope, healing, forgiveness, and compassion. 

Copyright 2016 Don Ray

No comments:

Post a Comment